Caversham Health and Fitness instructor Ben gives us an insight into his weekly routine as a Personal Trainer.
My week started on a Tuesday this week thanks to an old shoulder injury coming back to haunt me. All better now after a week off exercise and ready to be back in the game!
I started my day with porridge oats and a protein shake. Within two hours I had a protein bar as a mid-morning pre workout snack.
I trained chest and biceps today. My routine was as follows;
- Incline barbell bench press 2-3 sets light weight warm up increasing weight over sets at the rep range 20, 8, 4, as I reached my weight. 3x 6-10 reps
- Weighted dips; no need to warm up on this one 3x 6-10 reps
- Flat dumbbell bench press again 3x 6-10 reps
- Cable flies, 3x 10-12, this exercise takes glycogen out of the muscle to encourage growth and repair
- Barbell curls, 3x 8-10, just 1 warm up set
- Dumbbell hammer curls 3x 8-10
- Z bar matrix 21′s x 2. This finishes the last bit of energy in the muscle in order to stimulate growth.
At 7.30pm I ran a class called Spartan Training, making fitness a little bit morefun and challenging! The class is a variation of weights and cardio.
On Wednesday morning I started my day as I always do with porridge oats and a protein shake.
I trained legs today, never a nice feeling but very important to include into routines.
- Front squats 3x 6-10 reps 3 warm up sets.
- Reverse step barbell lunges 2 x 10-12
- Leg extensions 3 x 10-15, doing an isolation on quads will fatigue them so the next compound exercise is more effective
- Stiff leg deadlifts 3x 6-10, with the quads fatigued your hamstrings and glutes get worked harder due to the loss of stability from the opposing muscle
- Seated calf raises 3x 20
- Remember to stretch!
I had a protein shake post workout and soon after a chicken sandwich to replenish glycogen stores lost during my workout.
My legs are sore and uncomfortable but I know it will get better soon!
Wednesday evenings at 7.30 I run Advanced Lifting, a weights/ bodybuilding class. Today I took the class through a back session and showed the different areas of the back to work out and what exercises to do for them.
Thursday morning- Not training today so I used my time just resting sore muscles, especially my legs! No classes today but a few clients to keep me busy!
Friday I trained shoulders and triceps today with the following routine;
- Smith machine military press 3x 6-10 reps
- Side lateral raises 3 x 12
- Z bar front raises 3 x 12
- Machine shoulder press 3 x 10-12
- Barbell shrugs 3 x 12
- Narrow grip bench press 3 x 6-10
- Skull crusher’s 3 x 6-10
- Cable pushdowns 3 x 6 -10
Quiet day in the gym today and it’s a rest day for training. I use quiet times in the gym to keep up to date with client records and plan future sessions. It’s a good way to get past the busier periods a bit more smoothly.
Sunday is the end of my training week, I also have a day off work so am using it to rest after the gym!
Today’s routine was as follows;
- Deadlifts 2x 6-10
- Wide grip pull ups 3x body weight to failure
- Bent over barbell rows 3x 6 -10
- Bent over dumbbell rows with variation- in this case I go from a wide grip at the bottom to a twist at the top to hit the medial lats and get a better contraction
- Machine incline pull rows 3x 10-12 to finish
It’s a rest day today so no training and more clients in the gym. I’m really sore from yesterday so I’m very grateful for a rest day!
If you need any advice on exercises that I include in my routines just give me a shout! Stick at it!
Ben Wilson, Personal Trainer, Caversham Health & Fitness
We have some fantastic offers on personal training at Club CHF with our in-house personal trainers. Try one of our new packages
PT Taster – 3 personal training sessions for £60
PT Multi 8 – 8 personal training sessions for £225
PT Multi 10 – 10 personal training sessions for £250
For more information call us on 0118 948 4849